November 9, 2015
Last week, YCIS Shanghai Gubei Campus held the first College and Career Night Planning Workshop of the school year, focusing on “Careers in Science, Research, and Engineering”. During the event, the YCIS University Guidance Counsellors held a candid discussion with six seasoned industry executives from various career paths within the industries of science, research, and engineering.
The speakers included:
- Mr George Allen, Chief Technologist, Siemens PLM Software
- Dr Jonathan Chang Shi-chieh, Associate Department Head of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering Department, Drexel University
- Mr Roger Looney, Director Vehicle Engineering, Qoros Automotive
- Dr Georgio Mosis, Director Business Architect Healthcare Royal Philips, Health Tech
- Mr Ye Gu, Principal Group Program Manager, Microsoft Corporation
- Dr Simon Peter Stevens, Executive Vice President, Product Development and Chief Technical Officer, Chery Jaguar Land Rover Automotive Co Ltd.
During the fascinating panel discussion, the speakers first introduced themselves and their role within their company. Introductions were followed by an in-depth discussion about the executives’ real life work experience in their chosen profession, and they also answered a series of questions from the interested audience members. Furthermore, the speakers spoke about important developments in their professional field, and offered valuable advice and tips for students considering university and careers paths related to science, research, and engineering.
The College and Career Night Planning Workshops are a small part of the wide-breadth of programmes offered by YCIS’s University Guidance Office (UGO). These events are open to all international school students in Shanghai, and the next workshop will take place in the spring of 2016. Stay tuned for more information about the spring event on www.ycis-sh.com!